Sunday, April 26, 2009

Haiti Trip, Day 8 - April 10

Today was our travel day to come home!

Sunrise the day we left

We woke up at 4:30 to finish packing and eat a bit of breakfast. I woke up with a sore throat and the sniffles. We left at 6 am to drive over the mountain to Port Au Prince. CJ and I rode in the truck and everyone else in the van. It was a blessing in disguise because Sarah got car sick and needed a barf bag! I would have needed one too if I had been in the van!


Last picture at the orphanage!



Waiting to board the plane in Port Au Prince


Our plane was delayed leaving Haiti so we were late getting to Miami. By the time we landed we had less than an hour to go through immigration get luggage, go through customs, and recheck bags. Luckily our plane was delayed an hour so we made it, but we still spent that hour literally RUNNING through the Miami airport.

We made it to Dallas and had a chance to sit and eat. Finally we landed in Kansas City at 11 pm. We were greeted by Glenn's family. They're so sweet! One of our bags got left in Miami. The airport is delivering it tomorrow... I hope to be sleeping! :)

It wasn't fun traveling with a cold and a fever, but I made it! I slept through the car rides and plane rides. All in all the trip was great and I'm very glad I went.


************

I hope you've enjoyed reading through my 'journal' of the trip. A couple things I miss about Haiti... the porch! Life is so much more simple there. I miss the quietness of just sitting. Still not sure I would want to repeat the trip any time soon, but I'm so glad I had the chance to experience it. I would highly recommend going on a missions trip if you ever get a chance!! Missions are definitely not my calling in life... but kids are, so this was a good one!

My blog will now return to it's regularly scheduled program. :)

1 comment:

MJW said...

Ok couple of things.

1. I love your new header! Very cute! I love that picture of you and the cutie!

2. I've enjoyed your adventure by reading about Haiti! Glad you are back and had a great time! My mom enjoyed reading as well!

3. I'm also glad that you are back to your regularly scheduled program as are your other readers I'm sure. :)